About the Farm
CS Ranch in Colfax County, New Mexico, is a family-owned-and-operated ranch that has employed holistic management principles since the mid 1980s. More recently, CS has been able to accelerate its regenerative efforts through a “focused goal of regenerating the health and function of the ranch’s soils.”
The three-day, SHA school at CS Ranch will feature instruction by some of the most preeminent pioneers, innovators and advocates in today’s soil health and regenerative agricultural movement and cover topics including…
• How to increase profitability
• How to grow more forage
• How to make your ranch resilient to drought
• How to graze adaptively
• How to reverse desertification
CS Ranch partner and school host Kim Barmann says her ranch will provide SHA attendees with the opportunity to see the improvements gained by planting fields in cover crops grazed using adaptive stewardship principles. “Attendees will also see our native rangeland pastures and will learn how and why practicing and implementing soil health principles is key to improving ecosystem function and the economic stability of our family ranch,” she says.
The school at CS Ranch will also provide an opportunity for experienced, expert grazers and the participants to work together in teams to solve real-world grazing problems and to sharpen their skills.
“I’ve no doubt this school will change one’s perspective on what grazing can and should be,” Barmann says. “Any grazer who wants to take their grazing to the next level will profit from this experience.”
This class will focus on transitioning the cropping systems in confined dairy operations. This school will focus on improving soil function in a high manure system. Students will learn ecological nutrient management, proper soil testing, no-till and learn proper cover crop management and other ecological principles to reduce costs.
May 31- June 2, 2022
Tuition of $1,375 includes:
• Regen Ag 101 course ($499.00 value), which we would like you to complete prior to the first day of class;
• In-person attendance at the SHA school, as well as digital course materials and lunch each day;
• Two follow-up Zoom meetings with a consultant within the first year after the date of the SHA school you attended; and
• Access to future scheduled conference calls with the instructors.
• With a paid registration at $1375, you may bring an immediate family member along and they will receive a $200 discount
• Full time college students will receive a $200 discount
• Soil Health Academy alumni will receive a $200 discount
• Scholarship opportunities available at: soilhealthacademy.org/scholarships
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for coupon code
Who Should Attend?
Anyone that wants to take their ranch to the next level. This course will examine all aspects of regenerative ranching, soil health, plant health, and animal health. Hands-on experience will be heavily emphasized.
This is a power-packed three days that will change your ranch. It is taught by highly experienced regenerative ranchers.
Participants will be participating in adaptive grazing practices.
709 Collison Ave
620C State Rd 58
What You Will Learn
- Principles of Soil Health & Adaptive Stewardship
- Restoring Vibrant Ecosystems Through Adaptive Grazing
- How to Make Grazing Highly Profitable & Desirable
- Successful Marketing: Strategies for Enhanced Net Margins
- Nutrient Management
- Designing Cover Crop Mixes
- How to keep more money in your pocket
- Determining paddock size and layout
- Plant Brix: how to measure & how to Use
- Paddock construction and layout
- Soil health demonstrations
- Six soil health principles
- Three principles of adaptive stewardship
- Determining soil water infiltration rates
- Forage Biomass determination
- How to address resource concerns
- Pest and disease control through biodiversity
- How to increase your farm’s resilience
- Impact of chemical, biological, physical disturbance